A sense of community and professionalism is at the heart of the International Fluid Power Society.
1956-57: A 22-week fluid power course was developed for 23 educators in the Detroit Public School system. The course was taught by George Atland, Vickers Customer Training Manager.
October 25, 1957: Based on the success of the 22-week fluid power course, the group continued to meet, wheels began to turn, and the group adopted the name Industrial Hydraulics Training Association (IHTA).
May 20 1960: The IHTA became the Fluid Power Society (FPS) Chapter 1, Detroit with George Altland, Vickers, Inc. as its first president.
July 1, 1960: The National Fluid Power Association (NFPA) began providing FPS with administrative support.
August, 1960: FPS Milwaukee Chapter 2, Chicago Chapter 3, and Cleveland Chapter 4 were organized.
1961: FPS membership reached 1,000 in 17 Chapters.
1964 & 1965: Two summer institutes instructing fluid power technology to educators were conducted, spreading awareness of the industry across the United States in community and technical colleges.
1979: FPS membership reached 4,500.
1980: The Fluid Power Specialist Certification program was developed and released.
1980-1987:Although FPS Membership remained strong, the Certification Program seemed to flounder.
1987-1989: Ray Hanley, with the financial support of Char-Lynn Company, began an FPS Certification revival.
1989: Development began for the Fluid Power Mechanic Certification Program.
1991: The Mechanic Certification test was released divided in two stages: Mechanic I and Mechanic II, featuring separate tests for hydraulics and pneumatics.
1991: First group of individuals became Accredited Instructors with the FPS.
1992: Industrial Hydraulic, Mobile Hydraulic, and Pneumatic Mechanic Certifications and the Job Performance testing began development.
1992: The first FPS Certification Directory was published.
1992: FPS Headquarters moved to Bethlehem, PA.
1992: Three fluid power occupations were officially recognized by the U.S. Department of Labor in its Dictionary of Occupational Titles (D.O.T.).
1993: Pneumatic Mechanic Manual and Certification test were released.
1993: The Engineer Certification was developed and has since transformed into today’s CFPE certification.
1994: The Fluid Power Journal was launched.
1994: The Mobile Hydraulic Mechanic and Pneumatic Mechanic Certification tests were released.
1994: The 2,000th fluid power professional was certified - Richard E. Hunn, B&T Hydraulics, earned the Fluid Power Specialist Certification.
1994: The 1994 FPS Certification Directory was released showing an increase of 50% from the previous year’s edition and included 2,171 certified professionals and 428 employers.
1996: The FPS website was designed and launched by John Groot, CFPPS, IFPS Past President and Life Member.
1998 &1999: The Specialist Certification split into separate certification tests for Hydraulic Specialist and Pneumatic Specialist; the Hydraulic Specialist test and Job Performance test were revamped and re-released.
2000: Mobile Hydraulic Technician Manual and Certification was written and released.
2002: FPS elected its first female president of the Board of Directors, Lisa Reeve , Hydraulic Technology, LLC.
2003: FPS hired IDP Association Management; FPS Headquarters moved to Cherry Hill, New Jersey.
2004: The Fluid Power Conductor and Connector Certification test was released.
March 2005: The FPS officially adopted “International” as part of its name.
2007: The Raymond Hanley Certification Endowment Fund was established for technology training for IFPS Accredited Instructors.
2007: The IFPS Board voted to reserve $400,000 to review and update all existing certifications.
2008: The IFPS Certification Directory listed 9,529 active certifications.
2008-2009: The Electronic Controls Specialist Certification began development.
2009-2010: The Electronic Controls Specialist Certification was released.
2009: Mechatronics Certifications groundwork began.
2009: The IFPS/First Scholarship was established granting two $2,500 scholarships to high school students who used pneumatics on their 2009 FIRST Robotics Competition robots.
2009: The IFPS has nearly 4,000 members and 10,000 active certifications.
2010: The IFPS celebrates its 50th Anniversary!
2010: A newly re-designed Web site was launched.
2010: The Mobile Electronic Controls and Industrial Electronic Controls certifications began development.