Hydraulic Specialist (HS):
For those designing systems and writing specifications, sizing and selecting hydraulic components for mobile and industrial operating machinery. Hydraulic specialists draft schematics using standard fluid power symbols. Hydraulic specialists design systems which are drafted to fluid power essential practices supported by National and International Standards. Hydraulic Specialist certification requires a three (3) hour written test. If you’re interested in testing for the HS certification, you will need to register by submitting a test application.Important Update
- Read circuit diagrams, size components and understand function as used in hydraulic systems.
- Analyze load & motion. Determine and perform calculations for the work profile to move loads (force, distance, work, torque, speed, velocity and power.)
- Provides ISO cleanliness level for each system.
- Specifies filtration to maintain ISO cleanliness level.
- Specifies flushing and commissioning.
- Specifies Sampling and diagnostic ports.
- Size and specify hydraulic cylinders and motors.
- Understand operating curves for proportional control valves. Identify components on the amplifier card.
- Specify hydraulic reservoirs to meet system requirements.
- Specify hydraulic accumulators for system operation.
- Calculate heat loss and size heat exchangers
- Identify properties of hydraulic fluids and compatibility with seal materials.
- Understand the use and application of biodegradable fluids.
- Analyze and trouble shoot hydraulic systems (pressure, flow, heat, vibration, noise and cycle time.
- Recognize the basic electrical control systems.
- Understand ladder logic.
- Match programmable logic controller (PLC devices with application).
- Promotes safe working conditions with pressurized systems.
Recommended Reference Materials:
*Hydraulic Specialist Certification Upgrade
Hydraulic Specialist (HS) Certification is currently being upgraded. Please take note of the following:
If a copy of the current study manual is needed, please contact headquarters.
- A new HS study manual is expected to be released by December 31, 2016.
- A new HS test is expected to be released March 31, 2017.
- Effective immediately: the IFPS will not be scheduling any NEW HS test events for January, February or March 2017.
you have already scheduled your test for January, February or March
2017, you will take the current test; no action is needed on your part.
- If you would like to register to take the current HS test, you MUST register and take the test before December 30, 2016.